With all the crazy weather we’ve been having the last few weeks, it’s made getting outside for a workout pretty interesting. We’ve had powder snowfall, thick ice, slush and, my favorite, thin ice over deep puddles…ah! So I’ve been doing lots of indoor activities to keep the cold from getting me down. I don’t know if you’ve heard about the Tone It Up girls but they’re my heroes. Fitness heroes, that is. They’re goofy and inspiring and know how to keep me motivated! I love their workouts and the community of women that has formed following their lead is incredible. If you haven’t checked them out yet, I would encourage you to do so at www.ToneItUp.com. And next time the weather keeps you inside, fire up one (or three) of their quick and effective workout videos on YouTube. Super fun and and high energy. Then refuel with some pancakes. Yes, you heard me right…PANCAKES!
Normally, I associate pancakes with birthday breakfast or lazy Saturday brunch but since I started upping my nutrition and using protein powder, I’ve been on the hunt for a great vegan protein pancake. The protein powder that I buy is awesome. It’s a vegan, gluten-free, raw, non-gmo brown rice protein and it tastes pretty rockin’. The best thing about it is that, as a rice protein you can use it in place of flour in baked goods, pancakes and waffles! Now, the waffle/pancake recipe on the back of the bag calls for egg whites and seeing as how I am goodsVEGAN, I’ve been testing out millions of ways to make the little suckers healthy, fluffy and egg-free. These pancakes are all that and totally delicious…plus you can eat them every day and still feel happy, healthy and fit! And yes, I do eat them [almost] every day.
I love cooking pancakes. I’m not sure what it is about the process but it is very satisfying. When they cook up as fluffy and sweet as these do it makes for a beautiful morning. Simply stacked, fancied up on fruit kebabs or in fun shapes, every day is a good day for pancakes!
Everyday Protein Pancakes
Prep Time: 5mins I Cook Time: 5-6mins I Recipe Serves: 2
- 1c unsweetened almond milk
- 2tbs lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1tbs vanilla, stevia or pure maple syrup
- 1/2c all purpose flour mix (try our GF AP Mix or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free AP Mix)
- 2scoops (1/3c) vegan protein powder (I love my Perfect Fit Vanilla!)
- 2tbs flax meal
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1tsp cinnamon (optional)
- large pinch of fine sea salt
- Combine wet ingredients in a measuring glass and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk dry ingredients together until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Set aside 2-3 minutes for the batter to thicken slightly while you set your frying pan or griddle over medium heat.
- Using a 1/4c measuring spoon, portion pancake batter onto your griddle leaving 2-3 inches between each pancake. Cook for 2 minutes on one side until edges are bubbly and slightly dry. Flip over and continue cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve topped with pure maple syrup and sliced bananas.